Saturday, September 20, 2014

First Minnesota Wild Breakaway 10K/5K/1-mile Fun Run


Today, the Minnesota Wild hosted their first 10K/5K/1-mile fun run outside of the Xcel Energy Center. I ran in the 5K, with my sister-in-law.  Besides the races, there were people lined up outside of the X for waiting for single game tickets to go on sale this morning. (I only saw three tents set up outside yesterday when I went to pick up race stuff.) In addition to the race and single game tickets going on sale, the Wild also had scrimmages/practice open to the public from 8:30-1 pm.

The races were benefiting the Minnesota Wild Foundation. For the first race (which was announced at the beginning of August), there was a decent turn out today--and the weather was great for it! 


Start/Finish line (Courtesy of the Minnesota Wild @mnwild on twitter)


To get in the spirit of the upcoming Wild season, James Bohn sang the National Anthem and Wes Walz led the crowd with “Let’s Go Running”


Group of runners gathered for a live shot for one of the local news stations (Courtesy of the Minnesota Wild)


I managed to get some pictures while running (or trying to run, since I did suffer a minor ankle injury). Hey, I managed to finish with a time of 49:48 (yikes!!)  The other pictures featured are courtesy of the Minnesota Wild (@mnwild) on twitter.



My sister-in-law (in the green jersey) and I at the starting line

In front of the X before the start
Runners lining up
                                             
                                               
During the race


The Wild did give away prizes, such as an autographed Thomas Vanek jersey for best "costume," along with sticks for the first place finishers (along with tickets). 

Winner(s) of the autographed Thomas Vanek jersey (courtesy of the Minnesota Wild)
The Wild did also host scrimmages today, which were open to the public. I didn't go watch due to my ankle injury (which was minor, I have been icing it through out the day). The Wild's first scrimmage is Monday night against Winnipeg. 

We're getting closer to hockey season!!! 

No comments:

Being Wrong About Filip Gustavsson

  Back in October, right at the start of the 2022-2023 NHL season, I wrote about Filip Gustavsson, his joining the Wild, and whether or not ...